Thursday, January 24, 2008

Focus on: Doodlebug Dezines

I just spent the better part of the morning cropping and putting photos together for this fabulous line of handcrafted purses that I carry in the shop.



For the uninitiated, Doodlebug Dezines is the pseudonym/label of Laurie Wright, an amazing artist and all around talented lady who resides in Auburn, GA (just down the road!). I met Laurie through a lady who attended one of my jewelry shows in the early days and I am so grateful!

Laurie is funny and warm and genuine and so modest about her insane talent. Her humor is evident in the fun touches she puts on all of her purses (check out the cute button on the back of this purse!) She has a great eye for color, loves trying new things and just bubbles with enthusiasm. I am always excited to see what she will come up with next!

Here's Laurie's "bio" that I have posted in the shop:

"I began tinkering around with sewing as a child by hand sewing dolly dresses from the rag drawer. When I married, my motivation to sew was to save money on curtains and have matching bedspreads. My CREATIVE outlet was pencil drawing. After my first sewing conference, American Embroidery Conference in Atlanta 2004, I began to seriously sew for the fun of it. My creative outlet became making purses. I attended a Babylock conference in October 2005 and purchased an embellisher after a class with Paula Scaffidi (see Fiberella.com). I’ve enjoyed merging all the creative aspects of machine sewing with my enjoyment of pencil drawing. I work full time and have 4 boys (This number includes my hubby because he is a big kid, too). I’m never bored! LOL! Some places you can see my work posted....

http://www.fiberella.com/html/visitors_gallery.html

www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/d/doodlebugdezines/

sadiasews.com/blog1/2007/04/11/fiberarts-and-machine-embroidery/

So anyway, I spent some time going through the purses I currently have in stock and listing them on the website so that more folks can see the specialness that is Laurie's work. I had a lot of fun looking at each piece with new eyes as I described them for our online customers! More than once I thought, "I should just buy this one myself!"

Each piece has been made with such attention to detail! The fabrics chosen for just the right contrast, the little embellishments - buttons, crystals, ribbons, chain, beads - that make each bag literally "Sparkle!" and scream for attention, and the artwork, my heavens! I never knew that it was possible to "draw" with a sewing machine but sure enough, she can do it.

If you are in the market for a really special gift - or just want to carry a new bag that will have everyone green with envy since yours will be a ONE OF A KIND, check out the cool bags I have available from Doodlebug Dezines.


Meg
http://www.sparkle-ga.com/

1 comment:

Becky said...

Meg, I can't say enough how many compliments I've gotten on my Doodlebug purse! I have had 3 people literally offer to buy it right off of me! I love my bag, and I'm so happy that you carry such wonderful and unusual stuff in your rockin' store!